With so much angst and pain going on in the world at this very moment, it seems that Thanksgiving came at precisely the right time this year. I don’t know about you, but I needed to be near family, blanketed in love, laughter, and the birth of new memories. There’s no greater joy than coming together with loved ones, catching up, being in awe of how the children of the family are growing so quickly, being thankful for the elders of the family and the simple comfort of their presence. During the holidays, it’s so easy to get caught up in the hustle and bustle, but it’s oh so important to take the time to reflect on what truly makes the season special. So, I’ve taken a time out to reflect on some of the things for which I am truly grateful.
1. God. The presence of my higher power is one constant in my life for which I am ABSOLUTELY grateful. Now, people who know that I am not a regular at church may look at this in surprise. Hey, I’m still working on that. One thing is for sure, I recognize that my heavenly Father has guided, even carried me, through some very dark times while allowing me to maintain a sense of hope at my core. I am eternally grateful for His presence in my life.
2. My momma. Yep, where would I be without God and my mommy? I have such a hard-working mom. You know, she’s one of those moms who’s always in uniform going to or coming from work. She’s been a great example of working hard and going after your dreams. Above all, she’s always there, always encouraging me.
3. My children. Oh my, how I adore these two. They’ve both reached those scary teen years. Pray for me. What makes me so proud at this moment in their lives is that they’re both so independent and determined. I love their ambition. My son, Zaire, is so strategic and thoughtful about how he’s preparing for his future goals. I’m super impressed with this guy. My darling daughter, Christal, is this reserved and no-nonsense young lady. I admire her confidence. They’re making me feel like I must be doing something right;)
4. My siblings. Siblings, those people who you can argue with but the love is never lost. But let them find out that someone is causing you problems, lol. I love my brothers and my little sis. As a single mom, for me, they have been priceless. They love my children as much as they love their own.
5. Good girlfriends. Yes, I mean those sister-friends who you can depend on to be a shoulder to cry on, a source of encouragement, and who are willing to offer that no holds barred, sage advice when you need it. When it comes to friendships, in my life, quality is everything, quantity means nothing. Two very special sister-friends who I have to mention are my bestie, Jilita, and the lady who’s the best big sister, ever-Charlene! If I get encouragement from nowhere else, these ladies have an unending supply. I also treasure the priceless relationships that have grown out of the greatest sorority ever, Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc. There are too many to name, but they know who they are. I love my sisters! Yep, they love me too ;)
6. Dreams. I am such a daydreamer. I’ve heard that it goes hand-in-hand with being a right-brained person. I don’t know, but, yea, I zone out very often. The great thing about that is that I’m always coming up with ideas. The challenge is that I’m also a procrastinator. I am so thankful that I’ve been able to push that aside and bring this blog ‘idea’ to fruition. Thanks to everyone who’s supported Truly Charmed! so far. I am extremely excited about its potential.
7. Chances. I didn’t have much time to ‘find myself’ in my younger years (not that I’m old now). I went straight from high school, to marriage, to motherhood. At this point in my life, my children are getting older, more independent, and I having more time to nurture my own interests and talents. I am truly grateful for this opportunity, feels like a second chance. Those close to me joke that I’m going “all in” right now. Yep, I sure am. I’m painting. I’ve started my blog. I’ll model in a fashion show in January. What’s important is that I’m having fun, and, my kids seem to be proud of all that I’m doing, all that I’ve done.
8. Resilience. I hate to imagine where I would be without it. No matter how tough things have seemed at any point in my life, I have always believed that I could rebound. I thank God for this, and I thank my mom for instilling this inner-strength.
9. Chocolate. I know what you’re thinking—where did that come from? It’s that right brain at work again—all over the place and so random, lol. Let’s be real, chocolate is just yummy. I especially enjoy dark chocolate, no particular brand. A good chocolate truffle or chocolate-covered strawberry can make those stressful days at work just a little more bearable.
10. Shoes. Wedges, stilettos, booties, boots, it doesn’t matter. I just love shoes. What’s even better than finding a great shoe is finding a great shoe at a bargain price. Shoe sales make me happy. I dream of one day having a huge walk-in closet filled with shoes. Daydreaming…
So, tell me, what are you thankful for? I look forward to reading your responses. Feel free to share this post with others!
You never know what a person has endured. How often have you met another woman, had the opportunity to exchange life's stories, and walked away uttering those exact words? Better yet, how many times have you been encouraged by another woman's story, her account of how she's conquered the roadblocks, trials, setbacks that she has managed to conquer? We often surprise, even astonish, one another with our experiences in this adventure called life. Yet, so many things keep us from opportunities to feed into or be encouraged by our sisters. Let's get past competition, insecurities, and all things negative, and inspire one another. Truly Charmed! was created for that exact purpose.
Each month you will get the opportunity to meet a phenomenal woman (our Gem of the Month) who will graciously share her story. The intent is certainly not to air dirty laundry or reveal anyone's skeletons, but to break down any barrier that keeps one person's life from being a blessing to the next. We hope that you will comment and let her know how you identify with her, how you've been touched by her story. Please invite others to experience Truly Charmed! because you just never know what a person is going through. You never know how a Gem's story may be exactly what someone needs for encouragement at this very moment. Again, thanks for visiting and here's to our Charmed Lives!!
Antoinette C. is a blogger who delights in all things that foster unity and growth in women. After all, if the woman is happy and fulfilled, so is her family and community. Through Truly Charmed, Antoinette will introduce you to women who have inspired her, and who will, hopefully, do the same for you! Here's to your charmed life!